20 September 2011

built-ins on a budget

I am working with two different clients right now who would like to have built-in shelving on the media walls in their living rooms. There is no better way to create a focal point in a room than by creating a spectacular wall of shelving around a fireplace and/or TV. In addition to the fantastic storage it provides, it allows our big modern TV sets to blend better into the room and it draws the eye to the whole wall and not just the big black box. 

source

Custom built-ins, however, are expensive. But with a little creativity and a weekend of getting your hands dirty, you can do it yourself and create a custom look using inexpensive materials.

source

First, figure out your storage needs, and whether you need room for junk that you want behind closed doors, or if all-open shelving will be ok.

source
 Second, try reusing what you already have. Can you incorporate existing freestanding bookcases, dressers, or sideboards into the design? One of my clients is using an antique dresser/hutch as the centerpiece that the TV sits on, and will build shelving around it. 

source
Third, measure your wall and sketch out what your shelving would look like. Then measure each section and use in-stock cabinetry and shelving units from the hardware store. Often these can work perfectly size-wise. 

source
Finally, use trim to tie all of the pieces together to create a seamless and custom look.  

source
Or, who says they need to be joined together? Freestanding bookshelves on either side can also look amazing. 

source

For detailed instructions, check out this page at HGTV.com or this one from ehow.com.

Shelving around your media wall or fireplace adds warmth and functionality to the room. It takes some work, but I think it is worth it. Do you?

4 comments :

  1. I love built in shelves! They give a home look so much more luxe. I especially love the second picture of the aqua living room and the black fireplace. Very glamorous! My kind of room! :-) Great choices! I just might have to do a built in shelving project one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. Glad you did, now I have found another fabulous Canadian blog!

    I LOVE that turquoise living room!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely on my to-do list! You don’t even want to know what my TV sits on now…*hangs head in shame*

    And thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If ever I will be moving to a new place, I would want to have more built in cabinets to have more storage space for my books and toys for grown up boys. But for the meantime, I will still continue to search for the well suited storage cabinet for my current place.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for making my day!