8 July 2012

summer bedroom + DIY re-upholstered bed

I recently changed up my bedroom to make it lighter for summer. A few simple changes did the trick. 

First, I reupholstered the bed frame to get rid of the dark brown leather. I used soft taupe in the same shade as my existing curtains and covered the headboard and footboard in panels, and used long strips on the side rails. 




I also replaced the dark brown mirror and switched out the dark knobs on my dresser to lighter, sparkly options. 
I have a thing for circles, so when I saw some fun circle decals at Urban Walls, I was all over them. They're removable and therefore perfect for my rental condo, and they add a bit of fun and light summer whimsy to the room, don't you think? There are all kinds of versions- you should go check them out



To add to the circle theme (and try a fun new project) I took an IKEA utensil canister and used tin snips to cut a hole in the bottom to allow me to string through a hanging pendant bulb. Kinda cool, and saved me buying a new light fixture. 




Finally, stripping off the heavy bedding down to a simple white sheet and light blanket completes a summer look and feel. 


What do you do to lighten up for summer? 

4 comments :

  1. Great mini makeover! You are so handy with your DIY ... that bed and the pendant ... maybe you need to start a class Kelly! I love the softness and lightness of the room. It feels like a beach house to me and I'm loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your bedroom makeover! The Ikea canister-turned-pendant light is genius, and covering your bed frame with taupe fabric is genius x 2! The crystal knobs on your dresser add a nice touch of pretty, and the styling is perfect :-)

    I have a thing for circles too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Tim

    Thanks Tim! Yup, you can't beat a light and airy beach house. If you can't have one, pretend, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Kelly @ JAX does design

    Thanks Kelly! I love changing out hardware for crystal knobs, and these ones are vintage, so even better!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for making my day!